Study & Exchange

The Student (F-1/M-1) Visa provides opportunities for qualified applicants to study at accredited postsecondary institutions in the United States. With thousands of academic programs, world-class institutions, and unmatched flexibility, the United States offers a wealth of higher-education opportunities. Visit the Department of State’s EducationUSA website to learn about educational opportunities for undergraduate and graduate study, opportunities for scholars, admissions, and more.

The Exchange Visitor (J-1) Visa program provides countless opportunities for international candidates looking to travel and gain experience in the United States. The multifaceted programs enable foreign nationals to come to the United States to teach, study, conduct research, demonstrate special skills or receive on the job training for periods ranging from a few weeks to several years. To learn more about exchange visitor visa programs, program sponsors, and more, please visit

Citizens of Visa Waiver Program (VWP) participating countries who intend to study cannot travel on the VWP or on visitor (B) visas, except to undertake recreational study as part of a tourist visit. Students must travel to the United States with student (F-1 or M-1) visas. For more information on the VWP, see Visa Waiver Program.

For short periods of recreational study, a Visitor (B) visa can be used. Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, which is not for credit toward a degree or academic certificate, is permitted on a visitor (B) visa. Learn more about Visitor Visas.

Study leading to a U.S. conferred degree or certificate is not permitted on a visitor (B) visa, even if it is for a short duration. For example, distance learning which requires a period of time on the institution’s U.S. campus requires an F-1 visa.

  • If you have an urgent business, need to travel, please send an email to with a brief explanation of the expedite request.
  • Due to high demand and the time sensitivity of students visas, the consular section will schedule a limited quantity of F, M, and J visas via email for the spring semester. Please email:  In your e-mail, please attach a copy of your I-20 or DS-2019 as appropriate.—————————————
  • Si vous avez un besoin d’affaire urgent pour voyager, veuillez envoyer un email à  avec une explication bref de votre demande d’urgence.
  • En raison de la forte demande et de la sensibilité temporelle des visas étudiants, la section consulaire programmera une quantité limitée de visas F, M et J par courriel pour le semestre de printemps. Veuillez envoyer un courriel à : . Dans votre courriel, veuillez joindre une copie de votre I-20 ou DS-2019, selon le cas.