Where to Apply

Where you apply depends on a few things:

1. Are you traveling within 2 weeks or do you need to obtain a foreign visa within 4 weeks?

Apply in person
at a Department of State Passport Agency

  • You may apply for any service (first-time application, renewal, passport card, etc.) at a passport agency.
  • You must pay the Expedite Fee when applying at a passport agency.
  • Appointments and proof of immediate international travel are required. See detailed instructions for the agency where you wish to apply on their agency page.


2. Can you wait a little longer? (3 weeks for Expedite, 6 weeks for Routine)

You can submit an application by mail in order to:

You must apply in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility (post office, clerk of court, etc.) in order to:

*If you qualify to mail in your application (renewal, correction, etc.), do not go to a passport acceptance facility.


3. Are you applying from outside the United States?

Applying for a U.S. passport while outside the United States* is a different process from applying for a U.S. passport while inside the United States.

  • For information on how to submit an application for a U.S. passport overseas, please visit Applying from Outside the United States.*Exception:  If you reside in Canada, you may renew your passport by mail if you meet all eligibility requirements. Please visit our Renew a Passport page for more details.