Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

All U.S. Citizens and Legal Permanent Residents must report worldwide income from all sources to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Although you may not have to pay any U.S. tax, you must file an annual tax return. Tax assistance is available:

  • IRS International Customer Service in Philadelphia
    Tel: 001-267-941-1000
    Fax: 001-267-941-1055

Filing Deadlines

U.S. income tax returns are due on April 15. However, if you reside overseas, your return is due on June 15, because you are given an automatic two-month extension to file. If this is your case, write across the top of your return: Taxpayer Resident Abroad.  If you want an extension, overseas filers should submit Form 4868 by June 15th to request an extension to file until October 15th.  However, any tax due must be paid by April 15 to avoid being charged penalties and interest.

Please note that the IRS no longer publishes the Overseas Filing Package. Tax forms can be downloaded from the Internet at the IRS website online, or obtained by calling the IRS at 001-800-829-3676.

Can I Mail My Return and Payment?

You can mail your tax return and payment using the postal service or approved private delivery services.  A list of approved delivery services is available on  If you mail a return from outside the United States, the date of filing is the postmark date.  However, if you mail a payment, separately or with your return, your payment is not considered received until the date of actual receipt.

Can I Electronically File My Return?

You can prepare and e-file your income tax return, in many cases for free.  Participating software companies make their products available through the IRS.  E-File options are listed on