Emergency Contact Information for U.S. Citizens

In the event of an arrest, death, medical or other emergency involving a U.S. citizen in Djibouti, contact the Embassy immediately at       (+253) 21-453-000 during business hours or (+253) 77-877-229 after hours. You may also contact the Bureau of Consular Services in Washington, DC, toll free, at 1-888-404-4747 from the U.S. or Canada or using the toll-line at 1-202-501-4444.
These contact numbers are for U.S. Citizen Emergencies only. They are not for visa inquiries.

Government of Djibouti’s Emergency Assistance

You can dial the following from a local phone (Services offered in French):
. Police : 17
. Firefighters/Ambulance : 18
. Hopital Général Peltier : 21-35.09.62 / 21-35.27.12    (switchboard)
. Force Armée Djiboutienne : 21-35.03.45
. Djibouti Telecom Information Desk : 12

Bouffard French Military Hospital

You can dial the following from a local phone (Services offered in French):
. Emergency service : 21-45.01.15
. Reception / Billing office : 21-45.04.47(Business hours only – Sat-Thu, 06:30-13:00)

Specific Cases

Arrests: When the Consular Section is advised that a U.S. citizen has been arrested, a consular officer visits the arrested American Citizen as soon as possible (within 48 hours); provides information regarding the foreign legal system and a list of attorneys; and offers other assistance such as contacting family or friends on the prisoner’s behalf based on a Privacy Act Waiver signed by the arrested American; arranges transfer of private funds for delivery to American prisoners, arranges dietary food supplements and/or medical care through a U.S. Government loan.

Although consular officers can provide information and assistance, they cannot ensure a citizen’s release from detention, serve as the prisoner’s legal representative, or intervene in the foreign judicial process.  U.S. citizens are subject to the laws of the country they are visiting, please understand the laws of the Country you are visiting before you arrive, especially if you intend to reside abroad for an extended period of time. The laws of Djibouti are strictly enforced, including immigration and customs regulations that you may encounter when entering Djibouti for the first time.

Please consult the Department of State’s Country Specific Information: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/djibouti.html

Financial Assistance: Under most circumstances, the Embassy cannot directly assist U.S. citizens with cash.  The Consular Section assists citizens overseas in financial trouble by contacting family, friends,  or employers on an citizen’s behalf and can assist in the transfer of funds from outside of  Djibouti to the citizen in need.  In the rare instance that a citizen’s contacts cannot offer any assistance, the Embassy can issue a short-term loan to repatriate a citizen to the United States.

Recipients of loans must travel directly to the United States and all ticketing arrangements are made by the Embassy.  Embassy loans may not be taken in cash and financial assistance is not available for legal permanent residents of the United States or to foreign nationals married to American citizens.  Citizens seeking assistance must demonstrate that they are unable to obtain another source of funds and will have their passport cancelled upon return to the U.S.

Recipients of loans will not be eligible for another passport until they have repaid the loan.  Obtaining financial assistance is a complicated process that typically takes two to three business days and must be initiated in-person during business hours.

Medical Assistance: A Consular officer is available to assist seriously ill or incapacitated U.S. Citizens anytime day or night.  An officer can assist in locating family members, guardians and friends in the United States, with translation services for Americans in hospitals and by identifying and transmitting private funds when necessary. An officer can also assist in the return of the ill or injured individual to the United States via commercial air or private medical evacuation services.

Please note that most domestic insurance companies do not offer coverage for medical evacuation services abroad and government services are limited.  Please consult with your insurance company, credit card or company human resources department to check your coverage before you travel. Consider purchasing private medical evacuation insurance before travelling.

Death of U.S. Citizens: When a U.S. citizen dies abroad, the Embassy identifies and notifies the next of kin or a legal representative.  The Embassy provides guidance on how to make arrangements for local burial or return of the body to the United States according to the wishes of the next kin.

The Consular Section takes responsibility for safeguarding the personal estate of U.S. Citizens who die abroad if the deceased has no legal representative in Djibouti.  The State Department has no funds to assist in the return of ashes or remains of citizens who die abroad to the U.S.

Welfare and Whereabouts: The Consular Section can help locate a loved one who is a U.S. Citizen. If the last known location of the loved one is Djibouti, the Consular Section will attempt to locate the individual in the consular district, determine their welfare, pass on any urgent messages, and consistent with the Privacy Act, report the results of these efforts to inquiring family members.