Citizenship Services

Scheduling a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA)

If your child was born overseas, the U.S. Embassy in Djibouti can accept the application for the child’s CRBA. Please note, however, that we can approve or deny CRBA applications only for children born in Djibouti, Yemen, or Somalia. If a child was born in another country, we can only collect the application and supporting documents and forward them to the U.S. Embassy in that country for adjudication. To save time and streamline the process, we strongly encourage applicants – where possible – to apply for the CRBA in the country or consular district where the child was born.

To request an appointment for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), please follow these instructions:

  1. Gather all required documents on the CRBA Checklist including the required DS-2029 and DS-11.
  1. Send scans of all required documents on the checklist as attachments to the U.S. Embassy at for review and appointment scheduling.  Wait until you have gathered ALL the documents and send them in one email, to avoid delays in scheduling your appointment.
  1. When emailing please put the CRBA applicants Last Name, First Name in the Subject line of the email. Only one applicant per email – but please note in the body of the email if there are multiple applicants.
  2. We will send you an appointment date via email

Consular Reports of Birth Abroad Requirements

Please see the directions below for preparing your CRBA application.

Please note:

  • You must bring the original documents and their photocopies (single-sided) to your appointment. Original documents will be returned to you after reviewing your application.
  • You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents.
  • Both parents and the child must be present at the time of application.
  • The U.S. Embassy in Djibouti is unable to accept notaries performed in Yemen.

Required Documents:

Consular Report of Birth Application (DS-2029)

Passport Application (DS-11) (If applying for a passport at the same time)

Child’s Birth Certificate (original + 1 photocopy) and English translation.

Parents’ Marriage Certificate (original + 1 photocopy) and English translation.

Proof of termination of ALL prior marriages for both parents (original + 1 photocopy) and English translation.

  • Original divorce decree(s) or Death Certificate(s) for ALL prior marriages. Divorce decrees must be issued by the court.

Evidence of Parent’s U.S. Citizenship (original + 1 photocopy).  Examples:

  • A full validity U.S. passport (currently valid or expired)
  • Original U.S. birth certificate (should have parents’ names, a seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office – hospital birth certificates are not acceptable)
  • Original Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240/FS-1350)
  • Original Certificate of Naturalization
  • Original Certificate of Citizenship

Evidence of physical presence

  • If only one of the parents is a U.S. citizen, he/she must bring proof of physical presence in the United States prior to the child’s birth. Primary evidence that may establish your physical presence in the U.S. include: Transcripts from high school and/or college, Wage Statements, and DD214 Separation Statement (for Military Members). Secondary evidence includes: Credit Card Bills, Utility bills, Tax forms, Airline ticket stubs, and former/current passport showing stamps.
  • Physical presence in the United States is one of the key requirements in order to transmit citizenship. For more information, please visit:

Proof of relationship

  • If the parents were not married at the time of the child’s birth, bring evidence of the parents’ physical presence together at the time of the child’s conception (i.e. passport stamps, military travel orders) as well as proof of their relationship prior to the child’s birth (i.e. letters, photos, print out of e-mails).

Both parents’ IDs.

  • Proof of ID can be demonstrated by the following:
    • S. or Foreign passport
    • S. Driver’s License (with photo)
    • S. Military ID
    • State ID (with photo)
    • Alien Resident Card (“Green Card”) from U.S. CIS
    • S. Government ID
  • Note: All documents must be valid and original.
  • For foreign national spouses, please bring passports

Two passport photos (for each applicant)

Application Fees

  • The fee for a CRBA is 100USD or 17,700DJF
  • The fee for a minor U.S. Passport is 115USD or 20,500DJF
  • Fees can be paid in U.S. Dollars (USD) or Djiboutian Francs (DJF)
  • Cash and credit cards are accepted
  • Note that only “Series 2009A” 100-dollar bills are accepted
  • All fees are non-refundable

What if both parents cannot appear in person?

Along with ALL the required documents listed on our Report of Birth Checklist, please make sure the applying parent brings the following documents:

  • S. Citizen parent’s original proof of citizenship.
  • S. Citizen parent’s Form DS-5507 – Affidavit of Physical Presence or residence, parentage and support
  • Must be filled out/signed by the U.S. citizen parent and notarized.
  • Form DS-5507 is not needed if the appearing parent is the U.S. citizen.
  • Form DS-3053 – Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport to a Minor Under Age 16
  • Form must be filled out/signed by the missing parent and notarized.
  • A photocopy of the valid ID presented to the notary must accompany the form.

Notarial Services

  • If you would like to schedule a notarial service, please email .
  • The fee is $50 per notarial.  Notarization of State Department forms used to obtain a passport, including the DS-3053, are free of charge.
  • Notarials may be performed at Camp Lemonnier for contract personnel (USG personnel should first consult the legal office at Camp) Monitor Camp communications or email to find out the date of the monthly Embassy visit to Camp. Note that there is no cashiering service available at Camp Lemonnier, and all services must be paid in exact change.