Eligibility for a CRBA

  1. Eligibility for a CRBA
  2. Transmitting Citizenship

The U.S. Embassy in Djibouti continues to process CRBAs without an appointment alongside immigrant visa applications. Simply bring the child and applicable forms and fees to your spouse’s immigrant visa appointment, and the visa and CRBA will be processed concurrently.

The U.S. parent transmitting citizenship MUST be present for a CRBA application; however, a DS-3053 may be used in the parent’s absence for a child’s passport renewal only, provided it has been notarized by a public notary in the United States or a consular officer abroad.

Any exceptions to this policy must first be requested in writing by sending an e-mail to consulardjibouti@state.gov. Exceptions are only granted in the case of the transmitting parent’s criminal incarceration or medical incapacitation. Financial or work reasons may not be used to waive this policy.

Process to obtain a CRBA for your child

  1. Review information on the legal requirements for a CRBA:http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/abroad/events-and-records/birth.html
  2. Review the CRBA document checklist:
    (PDF 94 KB)
  3. Schedule an appointment by writing to consulardjibouti@state.gov

Due to the inability of the U.S. Embassy in Djibouti to verify documents outside of its consular district, the Consular Officer may suggest that an applicant and his/her child submit to a DNA test. Such testing is strictly voluntary and should not be performed without first interviewing.