The U.S. Embassy has received information about a large rally planned for the evening of Friday, January 8, 2015 near the cross streets of Nelson Mandela and Loyada Road (the intersection to turn toward Camp Lemonnier) and has reminded U.S. Embassy personnel to avoid large public gatherings and to be cognizant of their surroundings. Private U.S. citizens living in Djibouti should consider taking similar action.
Remember the importance of maintaining a low profile. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings including the Travel Warning for Djibouti, Travel Alerts, and the Country Specific Information for Djibouti.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Djibouti, located at Lotissement Haramous Lot # 350B, Djibouti City, Djibouti, at +(253) 21-45-30-00, Sunday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +(253) 77-87-72-29..
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.