Event: Demonstrations are planned in Djibouti. These demonstrations are in response to the ongoing conflict in Israel and the Gaza Strip and are expected to be critical of the U.S. Government.
Anticipated location for the afternoon and evening of Saturday, October 21:
- Haramous (Near U.S. Embassy)
Though protests in Djibouti are normally peaceful, these events may have large turnouts and crowds may be emotionally charged. Heavy traffic and street closures could result in congestion and delays in the areas of the largest gatherings. Security services may try to prevent large gatherings, creating the potential for more dangerous situations.
Additionally, stay clear of large crowds. Large gatherings can be unpredictable even when their intentions are peaceful.
Actions to take:
- Monitor local media for updates
- Be aware of your surroundings and stay alert in public places
- Steer clear of large crowds
- Keep a low profile in terms of dress and public conduct
- Carry proper identification at all times
- Keep doors locked and windows closed if you must drive through crowds
- Follow instructions of security personnel
- Should you find yourself in a demonstration, exercise caution, maintain a low profile, and leave the area
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
U.S. Embassy in Djibouti
State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444