Event: On May 10, 2020 the Government of Djibouti extended the countrywide lockdown through at least May 17, 2020. Djibouti’s borders will remain closed and passenger flights into and out of Djibouti will remain suspended. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging further repatriation flights from Djibouti at this time.
Suspension of Routine Passport and Citizenship Services
Because of public health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the U.S. Department of State has limited its domestic passport operations. This has reduced our ability to offer routine passport and citizenship services overseas. If you previously applied for a passport or citizenship service, you should expect significant delays receiving your passport and your citizenship documents. In an emergency, we can assist you with an emergency passport for an adult or a minor. To request emergency passport services for U.S. citizens abroad, please contact us at DjiboutiACS@state.gov.
Information on Visa Services
The U.S. Embassy in Djibouti suspended all visa services effective March 15, 2020. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. If your immigrant visa appointment was scheduled for a date after March 15, 2020, that appointment has been cancelled and we will contact you to reschedule your appointment after we resume operations. If a previously issued immigrant visa expires because the applicant is unable to depart Djibouti due to the border closures, please contact the U.S. Embassy in Djibouti at ConsularDjibouti@state.gov after we resume operations.
Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel: The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Actions to Take
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations
- Check with your airline regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/ or restrictions
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Djibouti
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
U.S. Embassy Djibouti
Lotissment Haramous, Lot# 350-B
Djibouti City, Djibouti
(+253) 21 45 3000
(+253) 77 87 72 29
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-444
Follow us on Facebook