Event: On March 23, 2020, the Government of Djibouti announced two confirmed cases of COVID-19.
On March 23, 2020 the President of Djibouti ordered non-essential government staff to stay at home on administrative leave for one week. Non-essential stores will also close, except food markets, pharmacies, banks, and gas stations. The President asked the nation to limit movements, avoid gatherings, and called on passengers who arrived in country over the last 14 days to get tested for COVID-19 and minimize contact with others.
On March 22, 2020 the Government of Djibouti increased the number of measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including the closing of mosques and other places of worship, the installation of handwashing devices in public places, and the closing of bars and night clubs. The government also announced the number of passengers on buses and other forms of public transport will be limited.
Effective March 15, 2020, the U.S. Embassy in Djibouti suspended all routine consular services. For American Citizens Services, including emergency passports, please contact DjiboutiACS@state.gov.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Djibouti.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Djibouti
Lotissement Haramous, Lot # 350-B
Djibouti City, Djibouti
(+253) 77-877-229 (After hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Djibouti Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook