Health Alert: Flight Information, U.S. Embassy Djibouti (June 7, 2020)
Event: Multiple commercial airlines have announced flights departing Djibouti this month. Ethiopian Airlines announced they are planning a flight from Djibouti to Addis Ababa on June 12, Air Djibouti plans to fly from Djibouti to Paris on June 18, and Air France has planned a flight from Djibouti to Paris on June 20. These are not U.S. government sponsored or coordinated flights. U.S. citizens must purchase tickets directly from the airline.
Important Notes on Transiting Paris
- U.S. citizens may transit Paris Charles de Gaulle (CDG) only if they have direct connections to onward flights to the United States. Onward travel must be confirmed before arrival.
- U.S. citizens will not be permitted to leave the international zone and will not be admitted to France. There is no hotel within the international zone, so any overnight layover will be in the terminal.
- Food and other services in the transit area are very limited (one small convenient store), so travelers will need to plan for their layover and be prepared to be self-sufficient.
- Every passenger transiting or entering France is required to present a completed International Travel Certificate (attestation) before they board the inbound flight. The form is available in English here.
- Baggage must be checked all the way through to the passenger’s final destination. Transiting passengers are not permitted to exit international zone to collect baggage and re-check it.
Important Notes on Transiting Addis Ababa
- U.S. citizens must have a confirmed, onward ticket for a same-day connecting flight from Addis Ababa Bole International Airport.
- Passengers arriving at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport without onward tickets in hand will be placed in extended quarantine in a designated hotel at their own expense.
Global Level 4 Health Advisory – Do Not Travel: The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
Actions to Take
- Comply with local measures put in place to halt the spread of COVID-19
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive updates
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations
- Check with your airline regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/ or restrictions
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Djibouti
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States
U.S. Embassy Djibouti
Lotissment Haramous, Lot# 350-B
Djibouti City, Djibouti
(+253) 21 45 3000
(+253) 77 87 72 29
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-444
Follow us on Facebook