Ask a COVID-19 Question
Last updated: 10 February 2021
*** Effective January 26, all airline passengers to the United States ages two years and older must provide a negative COVID-19 viral test taken within three calendar days of travel. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel. Check the CDC website for additional information and Frequently Asked Questions.
- As of mid-January, more than 5,900 cases of COVID-19 and 61 fatalities have been confirmed by authorities in Djibouti.
- Restaurants, nightclubs, and the movie theater at Bawadi Mall are currently open.
- As of November 11, individuals must have a certificate confirming a negative COVID test within 72 hours of boarding any flight bound for Djibouti. The certificate must not be issued more than 120 hours prior to their arrival in Djibouti.
- Are PCR and/or antigen tests available for U.S. citizens in Djibouti? Yes
- If so, are test results reliably available within 72 hours? Yes
- The Government of Djibouti offers COVID-19 tests at Bouffard Hospital. While the test itself is free, a negative COVID-19 test certificate costs 5,000 Fdj or $30.
- Test results are delivered by phone.
- For information on limited humanitarian exemptions to CDC’s requirement that all U.S. bound travelers present a negative COVID test, please review the following page: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/covid-testing-required-us-entry.html
- Humanitarian exemptions to this order will be granted on an extremely limited basis and will only be considered when the country of departure lacks adequate COVID-19 testing capacity. To submit information in support of an exemption, email DjiboutiACS@state.gov
COVID-19 Vaccine Information:
- Has the government of Djibouti approved a COVID-19 vaccine for use? Yes
- The United States Government does not plan to provide COVID-19 vaccinations to private U.S. citizens overseas. Please follow host country developments and guidelines for COVID-19 vaccination.
- Please follow the Djiboutian Ministry of Health for the latest developments.
- Information from the CDC regarding COVID-19 vaccination.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes with an approved eVisa obtained in advance of travel.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? Yes, travelers are tested
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes.
- All travelers must present a negative COVID test certificate within 72 hours of boarding any flight bound for Djibouti and not more than 120 hours prior to their arrival in Djibouti; all travelers will be screened upon arrival and must have a negative result in order to enter.
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry?
- Travelers coming to Djibouti by air/sea/land must be screened for COVID-19 upon arrival at ports of entry and the test must be negative in order for an individual to enter the country.
- Upon arrival at Ambouli International Airport, all passengers are tested for COVID-19 using a minimally invasive saliva test. Travelers identified with the virus either go into isolation and treatment at a local hospital or quarantine at their hotel. Travelers will have to pay 5000 Fdj or $30 to cover the cost of the COVID-19 saliva test.
- Travelers coming to Djibouti must be equipped with protective masks at the time of departure or arrival at the points of entry, respect the physical distance of one meter, if possible, at all stages of the journey and carry a hydro-alcoholic gel throughout the trip.
- If a high percentage of passengers on a particular flight receive a positive saliva test, the Government of Djibouti may require all passengers to complete a second, nasal swab COVID-19 test.
- Some destinations beyond Djibouti require a negative COVID-19 test certificate for entry. Airlines may require passengers heading to these destinations to show a negative COVID-19 test certificate before allowing them to board their flight. Please contact your airline for more information.
- Is a curfew in place? No.
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No.
- Are U.S. Citizens required to quarantine? No.
- Are commercial flights operating?
- Is public transportation operating? Passenger service on the Djibouti-Addis Ababa railroad remains suspended.
- What ACS services are being offered? The U.S. Embassy in Djibouti has resumed full ACS services.
- What visa services are being offered? The U.S. Embassy in Djibouti has resumed processing a limited number of routine immigrant visa services. The Embassy is not currently processing routine nonimmigrant visa services. If you are seeking a student visa, or have urgent travel please contact DjiboutiNIV@state.gov
- Djiboutian Ministry of Health
- Djiboutian Ministry of Health Facebook Page
- Toll free 24×7 COVID-19 hotline: 1517 (French, Somalia, Afar)