The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global impact of COVID-19. For more information, see the Department’s Global Health Advisory.
We continue to provide emergency American Citizen Services.
The Government of Djibouti has announced the closure of all international travel into and out of Djibouti. The U.S. Embassy in Djibouti understand the challenges that the rapidly evolving international response to the COVID-19 pandemic has caused U.S. citizens seeking to return to the United States. We are monitoring closely developments and will share additional information as it becomes available.
At this time, we encourage U.S. citizens in need of assistance to contact the Embassy’s American Citizen Services Unit at DjiboutiACS@state.gov with the following information: your full name, date of birth, passport number, gender, your current location, the number of family members with you in Djibouti, you e-mail address, and a phone number at which we can follow up with you.
- Djibouti has confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its borders.
- On March 23, 2020 the Government of Djibouti announced a general confinement for seven days. On March 25, 2020, the general confinement was extended an additional seven days, for a total of fourteen days.
- On March 22, 2020 the Government of Djibouti ordered the closure of mosques, other places of worship, bars and night clubs. Public transportation was also limited. On March 23, 2020 non-essential stores were also ordered closed, with the exception of food markets, pharmacies, banks and gas stations. Non-essential staff of the Government of Djibouti were placed on administrative leave.
- On March 19 the Government of Djibouti ordered the closure of all schools and universities.
- On March 18, 2020, the Government of Djibouti announced the closure of all land, sea, and air borders. All passenger flights to and from the Republic of Djibouti have been suspended. . Passenger service on the Djibouti-Addis Ababa railroad was suspended as of March 20, 2020.
- The Government of Djibouti has announced the closure of all international travel into and out of Djibouti. Passenger travel via the rail network is also suspended. The airport, ground, and sea borders are closed.
- Quarantined cases are currently being held at Bouffard Hospital in Djibouti City.
- The Ministry of Health will continue to provide updates to the press regarding the latest information regarding the COVID-19 situation in Djibouti.