eCRBA Checklist


A child born outside the United States may acquire U.S. citizenship at birth if the child’s parent(s) meet the applicable requirements for transmission of citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act Sections 301 or 309 prior to the child’s birth. One such requirement is that at least one parent must be a U.S. citizen as of the date and time of birth. Either parent may apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America (CRBA), on behalf of their minor child, to document the child’s U.S. citizenship.

If you are using online CRBA, please closely follow the below instructions:

  • Upload all your documents and bring the Originals with you to the Interview. Original documents will be returned to you after your interview.
  • You must provide English translations for all foreign language documents.
  • The child must attend the interview. Both parents must also attend the interview. However, if one of the parents cannot appear in person, please explore the different options under Show parental consent Here.

Required Documents for both applicants applying online and paper DS-2029:

  • Completed DS – 2029: Not required if applying online via eCRBA. · Completed DS- 11 (fill out the online form at for faster processing time at your appointment. You will still need to bring a printed application.)
  • One passport photos (for each applicant) Guidelines for passport photos can be found at: US. Passport Photos (
  • Child’s Birth Certificate (Hospital birth certificates are not acceptable)
  • Parents’ identification
  • Proof of Transmitting Parents’ Citizenship
  • Original U.S. Passport (a full validity US passport-Current or Expired)
  • Original U.S. Birth Certificate (should have parents’ names, a seal, registrar’s signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar’s office – hospital birth certificates are not acceptable)
  • Original CRBA (Form FS-240/FS-1350)
  • Original Naturalization Certificate
  • Original Citizenship Certificate
  • Proof of Transmitting Parents Physical Presence
  • School Transcripts
  • Old Passports
  • Military Service / DD-214 Separation from Military
  • Old Passports with US entry/exit stamps
  • CBP records
  • Social security earning statements
  • Legitimation/Legal Relationship
  • Parents’ Marriage Certificate
  • Divorce and Annulment Decrees / Death Certificate